WNBP 1450 (+ WXEX 1540)

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Aug 4 16:39:57 EDT 2017

As noted on a couple of email lists, WNBP Newburyport, MA has dropped its oldies format and now has Bloomberg business talk (... yawn).

Unfortunately this means that I have one music station fewer for my AM car pushbutton choices.

The button that once was WNBP has now been reassigned to WXEX from NH on 1540.  That's more a classic rocker than pre-1980 oldies or nostalgia.  Still not a bad station though.

Signal strength of WXEX is a bit less than that of WNBP but it is still usable away from overhead power lines.

Both 1450 and 1540 have signal "issues" if I'm within 2 miles of the Cape's south side facing Nantucket Sound.  WPGG Atlantic City, NJ interferes with WNBP on 1450 and WADK Newport, RI interferes with WXEX on 1540.  Still, in many areas north of Route 28, WNBP and WXEX are "playable."

That I have to use either of these stations, neither intended to hit this area, just shows how scarce the choices are for music on AM other than, perhaps, that of an ethnic or religious nature.

WJTO 730 and WCME 900 from Maine are other car radio pushbuttons.  Neither of those is a city grade signal here either.  Just shows how slim the options are.  In the late '60s, we had rock from WRKO and WBZ Boston, WPRO Providence, WHEB Portsmouth, and WABC NYC all providing good signals here.  Probably a couple out of ME too.

WXEX mentions 92.1 and 97.1 FM with no mention of the 1540 AM.

Well, just for giggles, I checked those channels.  92.1 is WOMR out of Provincetown (some of you will remember as being of Ernie Cooper fame) and 97.1 had "97.1 the Wave" which, per web search, turns out to be WAVD Milford, DE (!), obviously via tropo and likely not a regular.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA