WBZ Reception

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Oct 21 00:38:13 EDT 2016

Two of the more interesting WBZ airchecks in my collections are these "way out there" receptions made by friends.

Dick Summer "Nightlight" show - OCT 1965. Recorded by Roger Perkins, K1CZH (later W1OJ) on an R-390A receiver on a US Navy ship docked at Midway Island in the Pacific.

http://chowdanet.com/markc/WEB2005A/dx_wbz-1030_heard_from_midway_island_oct1965.mp3

ID, talk about New England Flower Show - 29 FEB 1996. Contributed by Geoff Wolfe - Cooma, Australia

http://chowdanet.com/markc/WEB2005A/dx_wbz_heard_from_australia_1996-02-29.mp3

I heard WBZ in Ireland on my trip there in 1977 but 850 (then WHDH) had the best signal out of Boston.  (1510 was still 5 kW night then.)  Here's the WHDH recording on a Realistic TRF portable with no external antenna.  I think this was from Sligo.

http://chowdanet.com/markc/dx_audio/WHDH_850_heard_in_Ireland_1977.mp3

Meanwhile, here on Cape Cod at night, WBZ is not bulletproof.  This recent recording shows an Argentinian station "Noticias del Plata" mixing in.  Water directly south of here is a big "conveyor belt" for RF from South America and the Caribbean as anyone who's ever tuned around at night on a car radio near West Dennis Beach can testify.

http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/audio1/argentina+wbz-1030_20160903_0100z.mp3

For a load of other AM DX audio clips, see:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/dx_audio.htm

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
>From     Paul B. Walker, Jr. <walkerbroadcasting@gmail.com>
Cc     Boston Radio Group <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Subject     Re: WBZ Reception
Date     Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:49:51 -0400

I once heard WBZ on a walkman while riding on a greyhound bus around 5pm
one late november afternoon in 2004 somewhere in north carolina.. and it
was pretty darn clear too

Paul