UNS: Re: NBC Boston info

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Nov 6 19:52:18 EST 2016

<<On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 06:40:41 -0500, Doug Drown <ashboy1951@gmail.com> said:

> I've been reading all this with great interest.  Aside from NBC's snit with
> Ansin, I have to say (as a layman, admittedly) that it makes absolutely no
> sense to me.  Why would a network sacrifice an OTA presence in a major
> market for the sake of something decidedly inferior?

Comcast/NBC has little incentive to care about OTA viewership.  If
people want to watch SNF, Olympics, and the many other events that NBC
controls broadcast rights to, they'll have to pony up for cable, which
actually earns them money.  "Free" OTA television is a loss leader.

This is particularly the caes at a time when basic cable (i.e.,
Comcast) is losing hundreds of thousands of subs per year to
cord-cutting.  The only reason the OTA broadcasts still exist is that
there are government and contractual concessions that counterbalance
the cost of operation, like different copyright licensing terms.

-GAWollman