NBC Boston info

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:21:02 EDT 2016

NBC is treating WBTS-LD as the main transmitter and it will scan as 8.1.
They paid a whopping $100K for it.

NBC is citing that only 3.7 of the market watches OTA which I don't believe
for a second.

https://www.tvb.org/Public/Research/CompetitiveMedia/CableADS/ADS,Wired-CableandBroadcastOnlyPenetrationbyDMA.aspx

In any event the signal issue doesn't seem to bother them. If they follow
what they have done in Connecticut and San Jose they will never mention a
channel number on the air and just brand as NBC Boston. I guess print
listings will say Channel 8.

I was told that Comcast thought about putting WBTS on 808 but Ansin would
have made a stink as WLVI lives there for now until we see how the auction
plays out.

The harsh reality is NBC will become a cable station as of Jan 1. They have
written off the south shore completely for OTA and Metrowest looks spotty
at best.