[B-R-I] Re: FM E-skip receiption tonight (7/15/2016)

Kaimbridge M. GoldChild Kaimbridge@Gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 11:34:22 EDT 2016

Matthew Osborne wrote,

 > Well I don't recall seeing anything like this on the list
 > lately, but tonight (7/15/2016) at about 8:00 PM I noticed
 > there was some e-skip occurring on FM.

I didnʼt note anything up here on the North Shore at that time,
beyond some weak 27 MHz (the CB band, particularly
27.025—Ch.6—the prime “skipland” channel) activity.
There are a couple of “skip maps” out there that show whats going on:

http://www.tvcomm.co.uk/g7izu/Autosave/NA%20Es%20MAP_AutoSave.JPG
      http://www.on4kst.info/chat/map_data2.php

as well as a whole dx map site:

      http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Frec=AL2&Map=NA

 > Then, as soon as the sun set at about 9:00 PM, all of the
 > e-skip faded out and it was back to normal FM reception.
 > I didn't realize that daylight was a prerequisite for
 > e-skip to occur (or am I mistaken?)

As a specific, pure causation, no.
However, its prime times are late morning–early afternoon, then
again around supper time.
One of the believed causes of E‑skip is thunderstorm activity
(somewhere in range of the skip path, not necessarily at the end
points), which usually settles down at sunset.
Also, a specific subtype of E‑skip is meteor scatter, which is
usually—but not always—“ping”y (particularly noticeable on 27 MHz).

      ~Kaimbridge~

-- -- --
      Wiki—Sites Contribution History Pages:

        en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
          math.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
  wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
         rosettacode.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge

      *****  Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer.  *****