Blackout 1965

John Francini francini@mac.com
Tue Nov 10 08:54:32 EST 2015

More likely, the power generated had a frequency somewhat higher than 60 Hz. Most turntables of the day (like clocks) used synchronous motors whose speed was determined by the incoming line frequency. The frequency of power from the utility was (and likely still is) highly regulated to be as close to 60 cycles per second as possible.

Generator power is not that well regulated, so devices that rely on line frequency as a synchronization source will run at different speeds than intended.

Most likely that generator was running fast.

john

btw: For those of us on the BRI list that didn’t see the original post, can you send a link?