104.3 Keesville still Christmas?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Mar 4 11:44:43 EST 2015

<<On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 13:34:55 +0000, Shawn Mamros <mamros@mit.edu> said:

> we no longer have a tuner capable of receiving broadcast radio in
> active use in our house.  I would never have believed that possible
> ten or even five years ago.

Of course, the business side of radio has long considered broadcast to
be an "out of home" medium.  That's why you had all those radio
companies snapping up billboard faces -- the thought was that these
were reaching the same audience as radio advertising.

As for me, I still have my HD tuner attached to the receiver
downstairs -- used almost exclusively for Prairie Home Companion on
Saturday evenings.  I still travel with a bag full of audio equipment.
But in my regular workaday life, I rarely ever end up turning
terrestrial broadcast radio on: the few podcast subscriptions I have
generate enough interesting content to soak up most of my regular
commuting time, and the remaining time I either turn the audio off
completely, or put on satellite.  Terrestrial radio has this nasty
habit of going into a stop set immediately after I turn it on.

I do on occasion put on WBZ but I'm always disappointed as their
traffic reports are never helpful.  (And then there's that stupid CBS
Evening News simulcast -- are they still doing that?)

-GAWollman