1410 vs WKOX 1430 AM HD intereference

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Fri Jun 19 13:45:59 EDT 2015

The FCC should realize that AM HD is mostly a failure and will be mostly a
failure in the future. The sound is very good, but only when the signal is
good and there's not a noisy computer or other interference source in the
area.  It drops out when any kind of noise is encountered, and that's just
the location when the listener really needs the noise-free digital signal--
so any interference areas are a lose-lose situation for AM HD. Hardly any
listeners are using it. One reason for the low amount of listeners is the
way the (HD) Market has formed in the last few years shows that many, maybe
most, of those AM HD stations ALSO have their signal on a -2 or -3 channel
of an FM HD station, so, even given the FM HD coverage limitations, with the
lack of robustness in AM HD's ability to handle local noise, most listeners
will choose the FM HD-2 or -3 signal over the AM HD one. And, as
demonstrated in Boston, many listeners of adjacent and second adjacent
channel stations are affected negatively. It would not be a bad thing if the
FCC gave a year or 2 for current AM HD's to be turned off and turned off
sooner if provable interference complaints within reasonable service
contours of those adjacent stations are on record.

FM HD shows different and much more positive results. I really hope it
succeeds. Some of the early home recievers were not very robust, but my 2014
Subaru HD car radio really works superb. Even with the limited coverage, it
works much better than I expected. If every, or nearly every new car came
with an FM HD radio, that would probably assure success.

Mark