Where is Ed Carroll?

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sat Jan 31 17:49:59 EST 2015

IMHO, Ed Carroll was the worst in terms of camera presence.   He always
looked like a deer in the headlights...with a broomstick stuck, well you
know where.  Schwoegler was one of the best.  Pete (9inch) Bouchard is a
buffoon, I like Harvey and Wankum. David Brown was good.....I did like JC as
a weather person but like her even more on Chronicle and as news anchor.

                    Gary's Ice Cream, Chelmsford, MA
www.garysicecream.com           www.icecreamcollege.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Boston-Radio-Interest
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Garrett Wollman
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2015 4:30 PM
To: Don
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Where is Ed Carroll?

<<On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:25:49 -0500, "Don" <Donald_Astelle@Yahoo.com>
quoted Kevin Cullen's Globe column:

> "In the meantime, I've been surfing through the channels, and it
> occurs to me that I don't even know any of the weather people anymore,
> except maybe Harvey Leonard. What the flip happened? JC Monahan's a news
anchor now.
> Where's Ed Carroll? Ed's from Quincy, for cripesake."

Mike Wankum's been around for as long as I've lived here -- he was at
56 when I moved to Boston and he's now at 5, in addition to doing motorcycle
racing and some .  And Barry "Hairicane" Burbank is still around, currently
doing weekends on 4.

(And it occurs to me that I know some of these people more by quirks of
their accents than anything else.  There was a woman on 56 whose name I have
since forgotten -- she got sent to the beach when Ansin acquired 56 and
never made it back AFAIK -- who always said "hut"
rather than "hot".  If I were a dialectologist I could probably pinpoint
where she was from.)

But the rest of them -- I don't often watch local TV news, and when I was
tuning around during the blizzard this past week, all I could think was "who
*are* these people?"  Guess that whole business about the Boston TV audience
being loyal to their local TV personalities was just a bunch of hooey.[1]

-GAWollman

[1] I will have been here for 21 years next Valentine's Day.  What fraction
of the current Boston DMA population either wasn't here or wasn't alive yet
when I moved to town?  I'm betting it's pretty substantial.  Hard to be
loyal to someone you never knew.