beware of spammer

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Dec 15 17:14:45 EST 2015

<<On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:13:52 -0500, Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com> said:

> Someone named Andy Curran is trying to hijack the email address of one of
> our members--a very well known one--with links to "maxlisshair",
> "diamondtravel" etc and if you try to block "Andy" from your own email you
> may block that of the distinguished member (her first name starts with
> D...) ...beware.

Its name probably isn't "Andy Curran", either.  Unfortunately, there's
not a whole lot I can do: Internet email "from" addresses are not
authenticated, and that's the only mechanism Mailman (our mailing-list
software) has for filtering out randos.

As a general rule, if you see an email that claims to be from
somebody you know, but doesn't look like somethey they would say, it's
probably a forgery.

-GAWollman