Talking Information Service.....

Don Donald_Astelle@Yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 12:58:37 EDT 2015

Tuning across the dial...and came across the Talking Information Service (I
think) on WUML 92.5 U Mass Lowell.  Amateurish people reading magazine and
newspaper articles, etc.  (The sound was amateurish and not polished....but
most of them read pretty ok...without stumbles etc.)

I know WATD in Duxbury ran it as well......and was under the impression that
this service for the blind operated on SCA...a sub carrier...but since it is
Summer, I guess school stations are not fully staffed and this might be
filler.

Got me to thinking....I have known 2 blind people....and they have never
heard of this...and never had any need for this type of service.  Does this
service provide anything that a blind person could not get from regular
broadcast radio and HD?

Does anyone really listen to this?  Is the programming I am hearing coming
from WUML studios?  Or is it a networked thing originating from WATD?

I thought once about volunteering for something like this....but can't
imagine it is used by very many people.

Anyone have any insight?