Tower Question

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Nov 11 23:18:52 EST 2014

Thanks.  Exactly when they changed the radio stations is still unclear
to me, but this makes a bit more sense.  I was pretty sure the radio
changes took place later than 1966.  The timing of the television
changeover was less clear to me because at the time we didn't have a TV
with a UHF tuner, so I couldn't follow UHF stations.

On 11/11/2014 3:16 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Kaiser/Globe had a very small window to get Ch 56 on the air before
> the FCC would have pulled the WXHR-TV license.
>
> Once WKBG-TV was up and running they then turned WXHR-AM into WCAS.
> and then later in 1967 would flip WXHR-FM into WJIB.
>
> In retrospect it is curious that all 3 Kaiser-Globe stations has
> separate studios.  56 was in Allston. WCAS was in Central Sq Cambridge
> and WJIB wound up on the waterfront.
>
> The stations were never bundled as a package and all 3 would
> eventually wind up with separate owners.
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com
> <mailto:joe@attorneyross.com>> wrote:
>
>     Interesting detail.  I have a couple of quibbles.
>

>     ​WJIB​
>
>     2. You mention the Kaiser-GLobe "consortium" (I'd call it a
>     partnership or joint venture) putting channel 56 back on as WKBG
>     in 1966.  I know the Archives also gives that date, but how
>     certain are we of that date?  I'm not as certain of this as I am
>     of #1, but I think this is too early.  I seem to remember all
>     three of the Harvey Labs stations being sold at once to
>     Kaiser-Globe, taken off the air, and then brought back in their
>     new identities.  But I also remember hearing WXHR classical
>     programming on 740 AM, which became WXHR (AM), on my car radio
>     while I was in law school, which I started in fall 1967.  I could
>     be wrong on this one, but I think it was later than 1966.
>
> No virus found in this message.

A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com