top-40 in 1957

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat May 31 14:17:25 EDT 2014

I remember Bob Clayton from the early 60's when he hosted Boston Ballroom
on WHDH and also did a TV show on Channel 5.

I would be shocked if Clayton could have played that as again in those
years WHDH was a strict MOR format except overnight when they let Norm
Nathan do as he pleased.

I'm not old enough to remember what WHDH and WBZ were doing in the late
50's. I do recall WCOP was huge with teenagers in Cambridge and Ken Carter
used to do a live remote from Porter Square every Saturday called the
'Pepsi Dance Party from the Elliot Ballroom'

What doomed WCOP was they could not deliver the North Shore at night as the
signal vanished just north of Revere. What I don't understand is why Plough
just pulled the plug on Top 40 in 1962 as WCOP was strong in the near
western burbs of Watertown, Waltham, Newton and Brookline. WMEX at night
was iffy 3 miles from the coast at night. I grew up just north of Harvard
Square and WMEX had issues with both WTOP and WKBW.