Stronger HD Signals

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 14:56:19 EDT 2014

The "WBCN Free Form Rock" channel on 100.7 WZLX HD3
had a few commercials for concerts in the Boston
area presented by the Boston office of the national
concert promoter "Live Nation" (run by longtime area
concert promoter Don Law) a few years ago.

I remember reading a few years ago that an HD2 station
with a bluegrass music format showed up at the bottom
of the ratings in one of the Virginias or Carolinas,
I don't remember which.

With so few receivers on the market, consumer apathy,
and almost non-existent promotion of HD radio, I doubt
that any HD subchannel stations in Boston or anywhere
else are anywhere close to making even the bottom of
a ratings chart nowadays, though some of them have
more listeners via simulcasting on internet streams.
I don't know whether PPM encoding for radio stations
transfers to people listening to streaming simulcasts
on their computers or other online devices.

EP