Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Jun 30 20:10:41 EDT 2014

On Jun 30, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Mike Ward <mward@iname.com> wrote:

> Feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure cable/satellite systems
> don't/can't do spot inserts over broadcast/OTA channels.

When I worked for a boston TV station we inserted different Comcast commercials over the Comcast commercials that were on the OTA feed, this only meant that subscribers received different spots (upgrade your service) than non-subscribers (low introductory price and we won't tell you what the price will be after your promotional period ends).  Of course this was done in cooperation with Comcast.  We did not do anything with commercials from other sponsors who had bought full-market coverage.

Where commercials are sometimes inserted locally is on the cable/satellite networks, where certain spots are designated as being OK to cover per the provider's contract with the network.  While on Dish Network the channels are distributed nationally you can still tell due to the sloppy switching when the are inserting a spot over the national spot.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH