OTA commercial subs.....

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jun 30 16:05:54 EDT 2014

<<On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:05:15 -0400 (EDT), Rob Landry <011010001@interpring.com> said:

> Considering that more than 80% of a TV station's audience is watching on
> cable, if the cable company blocks an ad in the station's feed, that
> spot misses the lion's share of its intended audience.

> That can't be very palatable to the TV station or the advertiser, I would
> imagine.

Which is why they're prohibited from doing that without the station's
consent.  (In the pre-Cable Act regime, I believe this was simply
flat-out prohibited, since there was no mechanism by which a station
could give its consent, and the stations were likewise prohibited from
providing a separate program feed to cable operators that was
different from their OTA programming.)

-GAWollman