Aereo suspending operations as of 11:30 today

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Mon Jun 30 12:59:40 EDT 2014

Other than the DVR feature, I just can't see much of a reason for Aereo in
the first place. But, maybe the DVR was really the main selling point. And
yes--Aereo only provided the few basic channels that had a transmitter very
near the center of the market. Their tiny antennas worked. Try it yourself
sometime--stick a 1-2" piece of wire in the center receptacle of the F
antenna input on the back of the TV and see how many channels you get. You
will be amazed. In probably over 95% of Aereo's coverage area, a viewer
could buy a $5 set of rabbit ears (20 times the size of the Aereo antennas)
and get all or in many cases, even more channels than Aereo offered. Even if
one had enabled some type of video cloud feed to his or her phone--still, I
can't imagine that folks watching broadcast channels on their phones are
going to be any significant chunk of actual viewing, with even the largest
phones having a tiny screen--to the dismay of some current TV ads--the
phones are really unwatchable-- but rather just a toy, or at the most ,
maybe just barely sufficing to be another place to get the news and weather.

--Hey, here's an idea--why not just listen to a radio for news and
weather--no phone fees, no service provider needed--and, other than the cost
of the radio and the batteries, it's free---what an idea!-ha!

So, now, we've really simplified LIFE. Forget Aereo ever existed. Just get a
$5 pair of rabbit ears for your TV, and a $20 radio and you will be happy
for years and years!

Mark Casey
K1MAP