Is WSRO-AM 650 Testing Its Modest Power Increase?

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Mon Jun 16 07:36:16 EDT 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014, Scott Fybush wrote:

> On 6/14/2014 4:05 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
>> Part 15 is 100 MILLIWATTS.. 1/10th of 1 watt.

> This is a common misconception, and trotted out with certainty by lots of
> people who like to sound like they know what they're talking about.

> It's also wrong.

That depends on which frequency band we're discussing. From 160 to 190
KHz, for instance, one may use up to 1 watt and an antenna as long as 15
meters (CFR 15.217); and in the band 510 - 1705 KHz, which includes the AM
broadcast band, the limit is indeed 100 milliwatts (CFR 15.219), but the
combination of antenna, transmission line, and ground lead are limited to
3 meters.

Amateurs have tried CW in the 160 - 190 Khz band with some success, but I
suspect AM wouldn't do very well down there.

I wonder if anyone's tried Digital Radio Mondiale in that band. Designing
a short antenna with sufficient bandwidth would be a challenge, I suspect.

Rob