Is WSRO-AM 650 Testing Its Modest Power Increase?

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Sun Jun 15 13:36:33 EDT 2014

At 09:17 AM 6/15/2014, Scott Fybush wrote:

>This is a common misconception, and trotted out with certainty by lots of people who like to sound like they know what they're talking about.
>
>It's also wrong.
>
>Section 15.209 of the FCC rules specifies a maximum field strength (24000 uV/F(kHz)/m at 30 meters). It does not specify the power output level that is to be used to achieve that field strength.

Scott -

We were speaking about the limits under which RadioFree Allston would be able to operate under Part 15 in the Standard Broadcast Band, and specific services have requirements in other sections of Subpart C that are stricter than, and supersede, the general Part 15 emission limits in Section 15.209, which begins "(a) Except as provided elsewhere in this subpart, the emissions from an intentional radiator shall no exceed ..." The section governing the RadioFree Allston operation under discussion is 15.219

>Nowhere in the FCC rules does the mythical "100 milliwatts" appear, no matter how many times this misinformation makes the rounds on message boards and mailing lists.

See section 15.219 - for the type of service that spurred this discussion it limits input power to the final RF amplifier to 100 milliwatts.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html