Looking for honest answers on this

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Tue Jun 10 23:20:54 EDT 2014

WBZ's format in the 60's was song, spot, song,  spot with dj chatter between
each.  No long spotsets.

                    Gary's Ice Cream, Chelmsford, MA
www.garysicecream.com           www.icecreamcollege.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Boston-Radio-Interest
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Garrett Wollman
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:41 PM
To: Kevin Vahey
Cc: Boston Radio Group
Subject: Re: Looking for honest answers on this

<<On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 01:33:59 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> Several of you posted that you flee to Sirius/XM when a station loads
> up on commercials. That really sums up the industry dilemma.

I'd love to see someone do the experiment and stop running the spots in
long, predictable stop sets.  If you're running 12 units an hour, what would
happen if you ran one or two units every five minutes, rather than six in a
row twice an hour?  (I know there's conventional wisdom about this, but has
it been experimentally validated on a music format, now that we have the
means to do this in PPM markets?  I haven't heard about anyone trying it.)
For that matter, why not just rotate the stop sets rather than sticking to a
fixed clock, so I don't already know when I get in the car at 10:25 that
there's six minutes of commercials waiting for me *every* *single* *day*?
Isn't it possible that the clumping of spots that the industry has been
doing for the last thirty years has made listeners hyper-aware of the
advertising?

-GAWollman