WHMP-AM 1400/WHMQ-AM 1240/WHNQ-1600/W245BK-FM 96.9

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Mon Jun 9 20:49:01 EDT 2014

Originally (up to about 1965 or so) it was sited right on the CT/MA line
and, after a short stint as early rocker WJKO, was successful through the
60's as Beautiful Music WTYM, they moved about 3-4 miles north to the
current site within a 1/2 mile of the Springfield city line. When that move
happened , and with the DA, they lost the Enfield, Ct audience but greatly
gained signal strength in Springfield/Chicopee/Holyoke. They added the night
service at some point.  Even with 2500w at night, It was a DA tight enough
so that listeners near the original tower site (in the same town of East
Longmeadow), and many in the next town of Longmeadow had interference!  I
remember coming home late at night from Holyoke where night signal was
super, then down I-91 then turning due East, the signal would get really
rough at the point of the pattern null only a little over a mile SSW of the
station. Then it would come back up with a not-too-bad night signal here in
Hampden. The DA pattern may have been designed to protect WWRL-NYC, the 1590
in Waterbury, CT , the 1600 in Brookline, MA, and maybe WLNG-Sag Harbor, LI.

Now here's another big reason for the downsize: There's an adjacent shopping
center that needed to expand into the area of the towers. I can't remember
if Wacky-AM was 2 tower or 4 towers. Not sure if WAQY owned the tower site
or leased it, but it was going down to 1 tower to satisfy the needs of the
expanding shopping center.

Interestingly enough, when they went back to ND, they probably got a few
Enfield, CT listeners back---after waiting 30 years or so-ha!