Stop sets: the "2-Minute Promise"

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Wed Jul 2 07:07:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Glenn Spatola wrote:

> There was a discussion on the list not too long ago about the length of
> stop sets, pros and cons of longer vs shorter commercial breaks...  I
> just found a very interesting blog piece about an AA station here in the
> Seattle area that has made a "2-Minute Promise" to its listeners.
> Perhaps it will spur more discussion.
> http://jacobsmediablog.com/2014/06/26/spotless-in-seattle/

The biggest challenge is going to be convincing advertisers to pay higher
rates. Cutting the inventory by 50% means one has to get double one's
previous average rate in order to achieve the same revenue.

I suspect this is the main stumbling block to most stations considering
this approach, particularly when their owners are burdened by big debts,
as many of them are.

Will Entercom try this in Boston?

Rob