Now official, Celts to 98.5

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Sep 28 08:04:55 EDT 2013

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I think Boston people greatly overestimate the interest that people
> from other parts of New England care about Boston, particularly the
> sports teams.  In terms of fan base, Sox >> Pats > Bruins > Celtics,
> and that's been the case for as long as I can remember.

Looking at the Red Sox Radio Network station listing on the WEEI website, if
I counted correctly, there are 56 stations (counting flagship WEEI-FM) in 9
states. There are 4 stations outside New England listed as Sox network
affiliates: WOFX Troy NY, WCKL Hudson NY (didn't they go dark?), KSGT AM/FM
Jackson Wyoming and KDEF Albuquerque New Mexico. Is there enough of a Red
Sox fan base in the Troy, Jackson and NM to make it worth it for these
stations to carry the games? I know there are many (including one Scott
Fybush) who get their Sox fix at night via the 50KW signal of WTIC. If there
are conflicts with U Conn hoops (which would be in the Spring tournament
time), does 'TIC dump the Sox to one of their co-owned stations?

Looking at the Patriots Radio Network list for 2013, they show 37 stations
in 7 states, all six New England states and 3 stations in Utica NY: WUSP
AM/FM and WRCK.  The three CT stations are Hartford (WUCS), Putnam (WINY)
and New London (WMOS). No Southern or Western CT stations, as there's
probably more Jets/Giants fans once you pass Hartford going South, West or
Southwest.

Surprises on the Pats' affiliates list: WFNQ Nashua and WNNH Henniker (both
branded as Frank FM) are new this year to the network. Last year The
WGHM/WGAM simulcast (900 Nashua/1250 Manchester) had the Pats. Also, WLNH
and WEMJ Laconia are on the Pats' net.

Mark Watson