Now official, Celts to 98.5

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Sep 28 01:01:02 EDT 2013

On 9/27/2013 11:56 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I think Boston people greatly overestimate the interest that people
> from other parts of New England care about Boston, particularly the
> sports teams.  In terms of fan base, Sox>>  Pats>  Bruins>  Celtics,
> and that's been the case for as long as I can remember.

Seems to me the last few years have edged it up to the point where Sox =
Pats in most of New England, and depending on the year it might even be
Pats > Sox these days. Had the Pats moved to Connecticut back when it
seemed like a possibility, the story would be completely reversed now.

But I completely concur that the level of interest in the Bs and
especially in the Cs is quite limited outside the Boston and Providence
TV markets, especially down into Connecticut where there's still a lot
of lingering Whalers loyalty on the hockey side and where all the
passion about basketball is focused on the women of UConn.

Our esteemed moderator would probably also contend, and rightly so, that
hockey loyalty in much of Vermont, northern NH and Maine also leans
historically toward those guys from Montreal with the CH on their sweaters.