Now official, Celts to 98.5

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Sep 27 14:48:12 EDT 2013

On 9/27/2013 2:07 PM, Bob Nelson wrote:
> That's true, WFPB 1170 Orleans is a daytimer with a pretty weird pattern as
> seen in the illustration on radio-locator.

Oy. Bob, you're killing me. :)

WFPB does not have a "pretty weird pattern." Radio-Locator doesn't show
patterns. As has been explained here and elsewhere more times than I can
count, R-L shows an approximation of *coverage*, which is determined by
the combination of the pattern radiated by the station and the effect
that ground (and in this case water) conductivity has on the
transmission of that radiated signal.

If you want to see what a station's radiated *pattern* actually looks
like, go to FCCInfo.com. When you do that for WFPB's day signal, you'll
see a very, very simple two-tower cardioid pattern with the null at
about 300 degrees and the bulk of the signal aimed south and east. I
assume that when the Orleans station was designed, the only protection
it had to provide was toward 1150 in Boston, and that's exactly where
the null goes.

Like any other station located immediately adjacent to a large body of
salt water, WFPB's *coverage* (unlike its pattern) is indeed
goofy-looking. But that's true even of stations with non-directional
"patterns": take a look at R-L's "coverage" map of WBUR 1240 and you can
see where the signal goes over salt water as opposed to over the
non-conductive sandbar of Cape Cod itself. Other similar effects can be
seen on the non-DA signals of WJDA, WESX and WMVX.