Bayview MA

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Thu Sep 12 04:39:37 EDT 2013

I think this is why the Census Bureau has a special category called "New
England Towns."

New York has some of the same complications. Saranac Lake is a Village with
a county line running through it. So it includes parts of two counties and
two towns.  To add to the complications for the FCC, one county is in an
Arbitron market and the other is not.  Yikes!

-d

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of A
Joseph Ross
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:19 AM
To: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Re: Bayview MA

On 9/11/2013 1:19 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Well, except for the minor issue that Massachusetts has no such thing
> as a "village".
>
> In the case of the Barnstable "villages", they are all fire districts,
> and may have other aspects of municipal government as well.  In
> Newton, they're just administratively designated districts that
> approximately coincide with historic postal zones.

We do have villages, but they are completely unofficial and undefined.
Chestnut Hill actually consists of parts of Brookline, Newton, and West
Roxbury, and the only thing it seems to have in common is a zip code.

At one time in Massachusetts, a village had its own town green and
Congregational Church.  As population grew, these villages eventually became
incorporated as towns.  Anherst has a couple of villages like that.  South
Amherst has a town green and a Congregational Church.  I'm not sure whether
North Amherst has a town green.  If it does, it's not as obvious, but it
does have a Congregational Church.  I'm not sure how a town the size of
Amherst manages to support three churches of the same denomination, but it
does.  There's another "village" in Amherst called "Cushman," but I've never
figured out where it is.  Probably there's no green or church there.

Other towns in Western Massachusetts have villages, whose legal status is
unclear.  Turners Falls is a village of Montague.  Leeds and Florence are
villages of the City of Northampton.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com