Boston radio dial in 1963

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Nov 24 23:50:26 EST 2013

<<On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 18:11:01 -0800 (PST), Martin Waters <martinjwaters@yahoo.com> said:

> addition to Boston. So, I think WRKO's night pattern is limited by
> that group of stations, not by KNBR (or maybe it's the former KNBR)
> in San Francisco.

Rather than just speculating, you could look at the patterns: WRKO's
night pattern has a broad null off the back side, protecting both San
Francisco and Raleigh (and deeper in the direction of Raleigh than San
Francisco).  WPTF has two deep nulls, one toward San Francisco and one
toward Boston.

Or look at the timeline entry for July 17, 1940:

	Ratifying a mutual interference agreement, the FCC grants
	construction permits for WPTF (680 Raleigh, N.C.) to increase
	power to 50 kW, full time, and for WLAW (680 Lawrence) to go
	full-time with 5 kW. Both stations would install directional
	antennas protecting each other in addition to NBC's KPO (680
	San Francisco), the dominant station on the channel.

When WRKO upgraded to 50 kW-N, one of the conditions would have been
to maintain existing (negotiated) protections to San Francisco and
Raleigh.  This is why the WRKO signal sucks in MetroWest at night.

-GAWollman