Boston radio dial in 1963

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 21:11:01 EST 2013

>Sid Schweiger wrote:>It was at about that time that daytime protections on "clear" channels >were reduced to (I believe) 1000 miles, which allowed lots of AM's to let >out their daytime patterns a bit and/or increase their daytime power.

      680 (and also 850) was, from 1941 until the rules about clear channels started to be changed, a Class I-B channel on which only one Class I-B station was assigned, rather than the usual two (i.e., WTIC, Hartford, and KRLD, Dallas, on 1080). Instead, on 680, a bunch of Class II stations were assigned in the eastern United States. The "granddaddy" is WPTF, Raleigh, 50 kw, directional only at night. Also, there is a station in Baltimore and some others in addition to Boston. So, I think WRKO's night pattern is limited by that group of stations, not by KNBR (or maybe it's the former KNBR) in San Francisco.

    Also, rule changes for clear channel stations wouldn't affect secondary stations' daytime operations when they're located so far apart.

"WRKO tweaked the daytime signal again around 1970 where with a good car radio you could get a signal on the Mass Pike as far as the NY state line."