Boston AM dial 50 years ago

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Nov 23 13:02:13 EST 2013

On 11/23/2013 3:43 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> The major players were WBZ (1030), WNAC (1260) and WEEI (590) - by
> 1948 WHDH (850) also became a force.
>
> WNAC would buy WLAW (680) to enhance signal.
>
> Nobody gave a hoot about MetroWest in those days or for that matter
> the south shore.

Not sure I totally agree-- WJDA in Quincy was still very popular back
then, and they trusted the station's news staff-- Herb Fontaine became
news director and he was widely respected.  In fact, WJDA was
sufficiently popular on the south shore that its owner (Jim Asher) was
in the process of moving to bigger studios and expanding the size of the
newsroom.  (A number of important Boston broadcasters got their start at
WJDA...)