Boston AM dial 50 years ago

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 03:43:58 EST 2013

Let's start with post WWII radio in Boston

The major players were WBZ (1030), WNAC (1260) and WEEI (590) - by
1948 WHDH (850) also became a force.

WNAC would buy WLAW (680) to enhance signal.

Nobody gave a hoot about MetroWest in those days or for that matter
the south shore.

In the late 50's WMEX (1510) and WCOP (1150) went after the teen
market with moderate success. WHDH had MOR locked up by the early 60's
so WBZ went after the teens and blew WCOP out of the picture. WEZE
became the most listened to station in town with 'beautiful music' and
gave up NBC radio which WCOP grabbed.

I would surmise that in November of 1963, WHDH was the king of Boston radio.