hats off to Scott Fybush

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Nov 1 21:54:40 EDT 2013

On 11/1/2013 9:39 PM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Imagine: One state (New York) actually has THREE Brightons. I sure didn't
> know that! Really validates the idea of postal codes (Zip codes). I didn't
> find the locations of the two that don't abut Rochester, but the WikiPedia
> article may contain a map.

One of them is just an alternate name for a neighborhood within the city
of Syracuse (and a small neighborhood, too, not like Brighton, Mass.)

There are two incorporated towns named Brighton, and that is indeed odd.
One of them is a very thinly-populated remote area in the Adirondacks.
The other is my suburb of Rochester.

Oddly, "my" Brighton doesn't exist as far as USPS (or telco) are
concerned. There are three zips in the town of Brighton, but they're all
"Rochester NY" zip codes. (USPS recognizes two of them, but not mine, as
having "Brighton NY" as an alternate city.) And if I call you, it will
come up on your caller ID as "Rochester," too.

There's also no zip code designated for the Adirondack Brighton - its
mail comes to the hamlet of Paul Smiths NY. This is not at all uncommon
in upstate New York, where incorporated villages and unincorporated
hamlets are often more significant identifiers than the incorporated
towns that contain them.