Real Names of Disc Jockeys

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu May 16 00:52:12 EDT 2013

On 5/15/2013 5:06 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> While researching something else entirely, I found a fascinating
> little article in the Boston Herald (10 February 1956) that said Stan
> Richards (then of WORL, plus he hosted Totem Poll Matinee on WBZ-TV,
> if memory serves) was changing his name legally to his professional
> name.  It said his birth name was Richard Goldberg. And it said he was
> changing his family's names to Richards as well.  I never knew Stan
> Richards was once Richard Goldberg.  That set me to thinking of other
> disc jockeys and their real names-- Arnie Ginsburg really was Arnie
> Ginsburg and he never changed it. But there were so many d.j.'s who
> used "house names" (a million Dan Donovans and Johnny Darks) or who
> tried to make their name sound less ethnic.  Norm Prescott was Norman
> Pransky, yes?  I believe Bill Marlowe was originally William Moglia.
> Others that come to mind?

Bill Buchanan, when he wrote a radio column in the Daily Record, used to
like to reveal the real names of DJs.  There was an Arthur McTigue
(sp?), who, he said, was both Dan Donovan and Kevin O'Keefe.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700| Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com