Capstar wants WTKK calls

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Sat Mar 23 11:07:35 EDT 2013

Mark Watson wrote:
> They also plan on airing some NASCAR races once they change to FS 1, come the
> Fall they'll have some college football, late Fall college basketball (games
> from conferences that Fox Sports has rights to) and next year some Major League
> Baseball games added to the mix. Don't be surprised to see them aggressively
> pursue college football/basketball conference packages that ESPN/CBS Sports/NBC
> Sports or various sports production outfits (Raycom, etc.) when they come up for
> renewal.

Yes, Fox has been stockpiling up sports rights for this reason. They temporarily dumped some of that content on FX in the last year or two. Fox also just signed a deal with the new Big East for Fox Sports 1.

(Fox also recently acquired a huge stake in the Yankees' YES Network. Can't remember what percentage it was.)

> Compared to ESPN, NBC Sports Network and CBS Sports Network, how many cable
> subscribers get the Speed network?

Numbers I see for ESPN are close to 100 million. For Speed it's about 90 million -- but I'd guess Speed is on a non-basic tier in many of those homes (it is in mine). It's not in Comcast's interest to make it basic, especially with NBC Sports Network in the mix.