FDR Fireside Chat Reference In Scott's Tower Calendar

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 18:26:07 EDT 2013

I'll accept that Fox is fair and balanced in the same way that MSNBC and
CNN are fair and balanced. But that is not talk about radio, per se.

To what "phony brouhaha" are you referring? Drone strikes on US citizens on
US soil without due process? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but I
don't think that discussion is appropriate here. Of course, our Esteemed
Moderator (and maintainer of this reflector) has the final word on that.

That said, I would argue that most TV and Radio is driven by the desire to
have listeners, because from them comes revenue (whether in the form of
donations/membership, advertisers or other "support"). "Reality"
programming, current "news" media, talk radio (from wherever on the
spectrum) is, for the most part, done with shareholder value in mind. And
most companies with revenue dependent on broadcast properties are looking
at their revenue numbers with increasing concern (if not outright panic).

Independent broadcasters like Bob Bittner/WJIB are somewhat of an
exception, though in his case (in theory) he needs to pay the bills to keep
the transmitters on-air, keep his stations legal and himself housed and
fed. But he is only beholden to himself, so he can do what he thinks is
best. I would argue that the concept of the Fairness Doctrine is outdated
given the general availability of media these days. Sure, there is a
limited *broadcast* spectrum, but there are many other ways to get your
message out if you think you're under-represented. That was less the case
before the 1990s.

ObBostonRadio: It is too bad that WFNX did not try to leverage that
(clearly) passionate audience for support. They stuck with the
advertiser-only model, and their niche format just could not generate
sufficient revenue following that method.

-Peter