FDR Fireside Chat Reference In Scott's Tower Calendar

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Mar 20 15:38:35 EDT 2013

On 3/20/2013 2:50 PM, Attorney Chase wrote:

> Believe it or not the CSA had a Constitution that very much tracked the US
> Constitution and incorporated the Bill of Rights and concepts of due process
> in it.  See http://www.usconstitution.net/csa.html#A1Sec9 Thus if the CSA
> combatants were being excluded in the comment from the requirement to
> provide due process because they were no longer citizens of the US, they
> would have been covered by their own CSA Constitution's provisions of due
> process. (Article 1, Section 9, Clause 16.)

Yes, but the USA didn't recognize the CSA and was not bound by the CSA
constitution.

I came across the CSA constitution in the library when I was in law
school.  It did look a lot like the US constitution, with the major
difference that it had provisions explicitly protecting states rights,
and it reverted to the earlier model of Congress, i.e. a unicameral
body, in which each state's delegation had one vote.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. | 92 State Street | Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468| Fx: 617.507.7856 | http://www.attorneyross.com