FDR Fireside Chat Reference In Scott's Tower Calendar

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Mar 20 00:37:52 EDT 2013

On 3/19/2013 1:27 PM, Attorney Chase wrote:

> N.B. Neither side gave the other due process as they tried to kill each other at Gettysburg.

This is the nub of the issue as I see it.  There have long been
occasions when the government has killed American citizens on American
soil without due process, and in a number of instances it is considered
acceptable.  The Civil War was an example, though it can be argued that
Confederate soldiers didn't count as US citizens at the time, since they
had relinquished their citizenship.  But what about when police take out
a gunman or a hostage-taker to stop him from killing (more) people?  To
what process is he entitled? The question isn't whether the government
is justified in killing citizens on US soil, it's just when and under
what circumstances it's acceptable.  And that's not entirely an easy
question.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700| Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com