Haitian Pirate Raided

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:25:08 EDT 2013

A good example of the FCC shutting down a station due to aircraft
radio interference was Datz Hitz out of Dorchester, or was it
Mattapan, Not only was the 99.7 making it just about impossible for
locals to get WCRB, but it also was definitely causing problems for
aircraft
radio out of Logan, or so they said.

I went to Charlestown on Sunday and on the way back put on 91.7 to see
if I could hear
the pirate Eli mentioned (out of HIS area). I was getting some kind of
foreign language (and
btw the FCC had raided the Brockton one on March 1, so that was
already gone) though after awhile it was just a dead air signal. As I
got closer to those signs on I-93 that says "I-95 to Peabody", WMWM
(David Biggs with jazz) did start to come in. Some will say, well
areas like Somerville aren't really intended to get WMWM, so why
bother protesting?". It still is interference to a legit station and
don't forget WMFO and WUMB could be stepped on, too. (WMWM by the way
is a half decent distance away from Logan and we are allowed to put
out 130 watts-- though to be honest we are luck to put out 70...)

Some years ago a co-worker, who is now retired, told me he couldn't
pick up WMBR at his home in Methuen due to a Lawrence pirate station
at 88.1. He said he called, or was it wrote, the FCC and they got
taken off eventually.

I know there are people out there who love the idea of pirate
radio--hey it's something different! It's also often stepping on legit
stations, making money with taxes not reported to
the IRS, etc. Maybe if it was out in the boonies (still wrong though)
but here the dial is crowded enough.
It doesn't need more interference. Yeah I guess it was good (sarcasm
here) that Whitey Bulger, Stephen Flemmi, and Kevin Weeks were
servicing the Boston area with drug distribution, too; people do need
their pot and coke, right? It's still against the law.