Jen Brien gets WBZ (AM)'s overnight and Louise Morgan query

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Jul 2 01:21:28 EDT 2013

<<On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:40:45 -0400, Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com> said:

> Good point, though I still am left wondering why they bothered to get the
> WFNX calls for the 99.9 and other than a reported liner of "We're 99.9 per
> cent WFNX", are not making use of them the way they could.

I think it's pretty obvious why Krazy Steve grabbed those calls and
put them out on a station that nobody in the market listens to: they
wanted to make sure that nobody else (who might actually be a real
competitor) grabbed them.  They had no real attachment to the WXRG
callsign, anyway.  It's only $65, pretty cheap insurance if you ask
me.  Of course, that doesn't imply that a new competitor couldn't make
a go of it without the WFNX calls, it just makes it harder for anyone
else to take advantage of the existing goodwill associated with that
brand.

-GAWollman