WMVX (ex-WNSH) granted 50 kW-D

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:16:16 EST 2013

 I use either Google maps or Bing maps nearly every day just as you described any time I read an
 item at allaccess.com or the FCC applications and actions site that I find interesting. One advantage
 of the Bing maps' birds-eye view is that you can in a sense swoop down and get a street-view of
 the tower or array. Of course you can do that with Google, but the satellite view pictures I
 observe don't seem to offer that option. Just recently, there was an item to the effect that KLAY-AM
 1180 in Lakewood, Washington State was picking up the Stephanie Miller show. That station
 went on-the-air after I left the USAF where I was stationed at McChord AFB/Ft. Lewis facility.
 The KLAY-AM two-tower array is due east of the base, which of course has a huge landing
 strip for transport planes, and therefore, its towers are just short of 90 degrees, or just about
 200 feet for a wavelength of about 800 feet. The stations IN the City of Tacoma for this reason
 appear to be limited in height, while a 1450 over in Puyallup, WA, KSUH, maintains a
 200-degree-plus tower that theoretically generates a considerably stronger signal than the 1400
 in Tacoma center. V-soft indicates listeners in Seattle do not get much of a signal from KLAY.