Station IDs (Was Re: WBUR's L-O-N-G Station ID)

Bill Dillane dillane@sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 27 17:45:36 EST 2013

>...WKSS's city of license is Hartford-Meriden. It's not simply Hartford... Anyone know the history on that one? If it was for 'local service' reasons, then why not just WKSS Meriden?

The station was originally WMMW-FM, Meriden.  It later became WBMI in Meriden until 1971.  It then became beautiful music WKSS, with a move to Hartford.  I can't remember when the station started IDing as Hartford-Meriden, but usually when a station adds a larger city to an ID, the original city is mentioned first (like WWYZ Waterbury, Hartford).  Don't know how the Hartford-Meriden thing happened.