WBUR's L-O-N-G Station ID

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Feb 22 23:04:39 EST 2013

<<On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:02:10 -0500, "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@mail.com> said:

> it turns out that the former WATR-TV and WTXX in Waterbury, CT still on channel 20
> had adopted the WCCT calls. I guess if at sometime in the future WCCT-TV changes its call letters
> again, WCCT-FM can go by just WCCT and shorten WBUR's stationID

Only if they pay the $65 to request an official change of call sign.

However, if you had bothered to check the FCC database (which is both
free and trivial to do), you would have seen that WCCT-FM has *only*
*ever* been WCCT-FM, long before WTXX changed its call sign.  In fact,
for whatever reason, most Massachusetts high-school stations chose a
"-FM" call sign, despite there being no necessity (and for most of the
relevant period, FCC rules did not allow the same "base" call sign on
non-commonly-owned stations); WSDH was rather the exception.

It is good to see that WBUR is finally correctly identifying WCCT-FM,
as they did not do so for many years.  (Technically, they are not
supposed to identify it when the stations are not simulcasting -- does
Cape Cod Tech still do any independent programming?)  WKKL, on the
other hand, never had a "-FM" call.  I hope Cape Cod Tech got
something from Tribune in return for its consent to the assignment of
WCCT-TV in Waterbury.

-GAWollman