Boston radio and school closing/delay announcements

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Tue Feb 12 21:40:16 EST 2013

*I noticed that WBZ AM did not list all cities and towns that cancelled or
delayed school opening. Instead, listeners *
*were referred to the web site. *

Of course television still does this.  I'm not sure any of it is really
necessary.  Nowadays, schools have outgoing telephone notification
systems.  In my town, we are awoken at 5:30 in the morning with
robocalls to our house phone and all our cellphones telling us they
have cancelled school.   Even in the "old" days, we used to phone into
a special number (696-2446, 698-2446) to find out if they cancelled
school.  It was so overloaded, it was like dialing a contest line, but
it beat listening through the dozens of listings on the radio.

While we are on the subject, a pet peeve:

The towns/districts are listed in "computer alphabetical order".  Thus
towns like
"North Andover" and "North Reading" will be listed before towns like
"Northborough"
and "Northbridge".  This is because the computer includes the space
character
when alphabetizing the names - something my grade school teacher told me
not to do!

-Bob