Boston radio and school closing/delay announcements

Ari Alpert xradioguy@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 20:26:25 EST 2013

Hi All,

I'm wondering if this is the end of an era. Over the last few days, I noticed that WBZ AM did not list all cities and towns that cancelled or delayed school opening. Instead, listeners were referred to the web site. School delays and closings always seemed like a public service that is well-served by radio, especially given significant power outages in the region. Are battery-powered radios no longer ubiquitous or it is assumed that everyone has battery-powered web-enabled devices or schools provide reverse 911-like service?

In Providence, I noticed that WPRO AM continues to list all cities and towns on a regular basis (enter memories of Salty Brine saying "no school Foster Glocester").

Are other markets trending away from this practice too?

-Ari