Michael Graham to be on WCRN, 3 other stations

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Feb 6 10:09:26 EST 2013

As a VERY rough rule of thumb, an AM station's signal strength appears to
drop off VERY roughly as the square of the distance between the transmitter
and the listening point. (In fact, more than a few things influence this
square-law relationship: soil conductivity and the station's operating
frequency are the two most important--and most often cited--influences. With
a salt-water path between transmitter and listening point, instead of a
square-law relationship, you have a nearly linear relationship between
distance and signal strength.) However, if you accept the square-law
relationship and use it judiciously, you will find that the 10 mV/m contour
lies (VERY roughly) half as far from the transmitter as the 2.5 mV/m
contour.

Applying this to WCRN, its calculated NIF (nighttime interference-free)
contour is, IIRC, 10.55 mV/m. IOW, what R-L shows for WCRN's nighttime
coverage (inner contour) is roughly twice as far from the transmitter in
Leicester as is the actual NIF contour. WCRN's real NIF may be a skosh lower
than 10.55 mV/m, however, because at least one of the major contributors is
a now-dark Canadian AM. And then there is the argument over whether an NIF
contour should be weaker than 20 times the RSS (square root of the sum of
the squares) of the interfering co-channel 10% skywaves. (I think the FCC
has added to the NIF calculation some first-adjacent-skywave value, but I am
unclear on how that term enters into the calculation. For example, does WHAS
really interfere with WCRN at night?)

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367