"Boston's Real Jazz" WZBR 1410 on air

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Dec 19 01:14:08 EST 2013

On 12/18/2013 8:48 PM, Mark Connelly wrote:

> I attended a Christmas party with former co-workers at a restaurant
> north of Boston today (18 DEC) and during my drive back and forth I
> noted a station with jazz music on 1410.  The station did not identify
> at the top of the hour (e.g. 11 a.m.) but finally around 11:10 a.m. a
> male announcer ID'ed as "Boston's Real Jazz, 1410 WZBR".  Music was
> about 80% instrumental 20% vocal.  A number of jazz styles were played
> covering from '40s up to contemporary hip-hop / jazz fusion.  This is
> the former WMSX channel (WOKW if your wayback machine is set to 1961
> or so).  The station was formerly sited in Brockton but has now been
> relocated about 12 miles north to be more of a rimshot Boston market
> station.  It is licensed to Dedham, MA and actually transmits from
> just over the line in Boston's Readville / Hyde Park section
> (42.23472° N, 71.13694° W).  Day power is 610 watts, night power 25
> watts.

I seem to recall someone (Scott Fybush, I think) noting some years ago
that the only AM station within the Boston city limits was WBZ's
auxiliary transmitter on Soldier's Field Road.  I guess now there's another.

Interesting to see another AM music station.  I wonder how long it will
last.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com