WKFY

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Aug 22 02:01:28 EDT 2013

On 8/22/2013 1:44 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> A long term staffer at WODS told me that the station died because the
> CBS/Boston sales staff (which is 100% commission ) had no clue how to sell
> to an older demo.

This conversation reminds me of the one that was had about the old
WJIB.  Back when "beautiful music" was number one, supposedly the format
died because it was no longer salable-- except it still had big numbers
in many cities. Trouble is, they were "the wrong numbers"-- older
adults.  Buyers just wanted 18-34 year olds.  This belief has also
killed a number of TV shows with demos that were considered "too old."
With people living and working longer, and with so many baby boomer
still big fans of music, you'd think agencies would realize the 55+ demo
is a good one to attract.