WKFY

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Aug 22 01:19:38 EDT 2013

<<On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 00:31:19 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> What I find curious is that today very few stations that play 70's music
> will touch Debbie Boone's 'You Light Up My Life' which I believe was the
> most sold single of the 70's.

It seems that the music of past periods gets re-segmented according to
our modern notion of genre and format.  You'll notice that 80's
nostalgia formats (e.g., SiriusXM 80s on 8) play comparatively little
of the high-charting R&B hits of that decade, even the artists who got
MTV airplay then like Michael Jackson.  In contrast, those formats are
much heavier on New Wave than the contemporary charts, because that's
the sort of music that is still considered to fit in the overall
format.

-GAWollman