WKFY

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:41:04 EDT 2013

On 08/21/2013 11:26 AM, Mark Connelly wrote:
> It sounds as though listeners don't really want anything from music radio that they couldn't get from a reasonably stocked iPod: little / no DJ talk, few surprise songs, etc.
>

> If listening is so passive, how could ads be expected to draw a listener's attention rather than getting a quick button push / dial twist as the response?

There's a little station up here, WCLX (102.9 Westport),
www.farmfreshradio.com, that does a decent job of working in spots. They
run a single :30 low-key spot in a given break and straight back to the
music. Spots are low key and sound almost as though they could be
underwriting spots on a non-comm. Then, it's spot-voice-only stager and
cold to song.  The 'training' that goes on to the listener is that when
you do hear a spot it will be a. brief and b. alone and c. means music
is next.

They started out as an LP at 89.3 and then got into an LNA with the
station at 102.9. (89.3 is now dark). It actually operates out of their
home in neighboring Bridport, Vermont, co-located with an Angus beef
farm that they run. (It's hard to know which operation is more
profitable but I suspect we know which of the two is more fun for the
couple who run it.)

Bill O'Neill
Shoreham, VT

P.S. Just to clear up, there are some newer folks here on the list (I've
been on here since the mid-90s!) but there is another "Bill O'Neill" who
was active in Maine radio, ran a record store, etc. Definitely another
"Bill".  I was radioactive in Greater Lowell/Boston. But I love Maine.