WKFY

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Wed Aug 21 11:38:51 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Mark Connelly
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:27 AM
To: wollman@bimajority.org
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Re: WKFY

It sounds as though listeners don't really want anything from music radio
that they couldn't get from a reasonably stocked iPod: little / no DJ talk,
few surprise songs, etc.

If listening is so passive, how could ads be expected to draw a listener's
attention rather than getting a quick button push / dial twist as the
response?

When DJ's do talk now, it's often the silly morning stuff which is loaded
more with celebrity gossip / Hollywood pratfall stories than any news,
traffic, weather, or business the listener really needs.  Apparently it's OK
to reduce the amount of music selections during morning drive so we can all
figure out what the Kardashians or Lindsey Lohan are up to.

WBZ still reigns supreme for me when I'm taking a long drive and need to
know what's really going on.

The problem of designing a "50+" music station is that the main "river" of
Top 40 that the majority of listeners followed started breaking off into
various "streams" around 1965 when both the Beatles and Bob Dylan set Album
Rock in motion.  By the late '60s there were two distinct radio audiences in
high schools and colleges.  We-play-most-anything Top 40 even started
branching off several ways itself.  John H. Garabedian and Cousin Duffy on
WMEX incorporated at least a few of the more adventurous album-rock sounds
that were so big on the WBCN-FM side while not straying too much.  Meanwhile
WRKO and WVBF were going lighter with tons of bubblegum and material along
the lines of Osmonds, Carpenters, Poppy Family, and the like.

Within the same age group, roughly those born in the 1948-1958 range, there
were widely divergent sets of musical tastes by the mid to late '70s.  This
makes setting up a radio format difficult.  Even if everyone started out
listening to the same top 40 stuff on WMEX in the late '50s and early '60s,
these people were "all over the map" by 1978 or so.  If a stations wants to
put '50s / early '60s "traditional oldies" in a seniors-oriented format, the
problem is always going to be "What newer music (meaning '70s and later)
goes with that?"

It seems that most programmers think that disco / soft-pop is the track
these oldies listeners had adopted by the late '70s / early '80s.  You will
hear an Elvis or Roy Orbison oldie and then Captain & Tennille or Air Supply
or Barry Manilow or KC & the Sunshine Band.  Maybe that really is where some
of that audience was.

But weren't just as many of those '50s / early '60s top 40 aficionados on a
harder rock track by their college / early work lives in the '70s?

Wouldn't Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Elvis Presley sound just as good in a
mix with Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Allman Bros., ZZ Top, and Stevie
Ray Vaughn as with the Bee Gees, Air Supply, and Christopher Cross (the
stuff "oldies people" / baby-boomers were "supposed" to have migrated to by
1980)?

At least on my iPod backyard BBQ mixes I can throw the more kicked-up '50s
stuff in with '60s blues-rock, '70s southern rock, splashes of old and new
country, '80s/'90s Springsteen and Mellencamp, etc., and it all sounds
great.  No wimped-out late '70s soft-rock to put people to sleep.

Knowing that no one station could do it all for a 50+ audience, my idea
would be to look for holes in the currently available formats.  It is a
given that listeners are not going to stick with one station all day.  If
you can give them something substantially different from what is already
available, you might grab at least a decent sized slice of the total pie.

I don't think 98.7 is really there yet.  If they would at least do an oldies
(1954-1969) block maybe on a Saturday night like WATD and a big-band /
crooners block maybe on Sunday night, that would be a step in the right
direction.  A request show could be cool too, along with one or more
personality DJ's.

The "what to do with the '70s and later?" issue is still going to be tricky
for the split-audience reasons enumerated above.  Since soft rock is already
well covered by 99.1 and 104.7 and hard rock by 102.9, I guess the idea
might be to reach into both formats in a way that is cleverly engineered to
avoid shock segues.  After all, our old beloved Top 40's played both hard
and soft - sometimes even one butted up against the other.  Perhaps because
there was enough of a space between the songs with DJ patter, the effect
wasn't as jarring as a direct segue you'd get on a computer run station
today.

I do wish WKFY success.  I just think that some tweaks might be in order.
Maybe these can even be sneaked in without making "Jane Whitebread" tune out
in favor of something else on her weekly trip to the Harwich Stop & Shop.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA