WKFY

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Tue Aug 20 13:11:25 EDT 2013

Coffee 98.7 sounds more like "decaf" to me.

On one hand, it is not "WJIB South" since I have noted no Big Band / '40s crooners and only token '50s / early '60s top 40 representation.  So on that end, it doesn't fulfill that part of my radio diet.

It is highly dominated by light-rock / pop from the '70s up to maybe 5 years ago.  During that period, my tastes were predominantly harder rock with a good amount of Celtic and British folk-rock stirred in.  The WKFY version of 1970-2010 is miles away from what I want from that period.  On the "rockier" side Pixy 103 (102.9) and on the mellower side Ocean 104.7 are doing a better job hitting my musical tastes in material of the most recent 40 years.

The 98.7 signal is no barn-burner as I drive around the South Yarmouth - West Yarmouth - Hyannis area.  There are more drop-outs / dead spots than most would tolerate on a "local" station.  Signal is in the same league as slightly off-Cape FM's like 95.9 and 99.1: generally OK for stationary listening but not quite up to snuff for driving.

Re Dan's comment I think it's 47 meters (not feet) AAT but that's still on the puny side even for the flat region being served.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:23:55 -0400 (EDT), TVNETDUDE@aol.com said:

> It will be very interesting to see who sponsors a station aimed at a group
> advertisers consider the grateful dead.

If anyone can do it, I wouldn't bet against John H.

And I wouldn't be too quick to count out that demo on the Cape: there
are plenty of retirees who live there full-time now.

-GAWollman

<<
But didn't I read 3-kW ERP @ 47' AAT? Doesn't sound as if much area will be covered. Is there something magic about the antenna location that will result in especially good coverage of the target demo?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@bimajority.org>